Week One Continues

July 29, 2013

We all got a good night’s sleep last night. I didn’t have to chase A.J. off the bed even once, he just laid down on his own bed. He slept until 4 AM, at which time I just petted him for a little while and he curled back up and went to sleep. He woke up around 6:00 and petting him didn’t work this time. I got up and took him out, but he wouldn’t leave the patio. We came back in and I got back into bed, but he was pacing around and started to go over to bother Greg, so I got up. We went out again, and he finally went out into the grass to do his business and explore for a while. He ate a full breakfast, and is keeping everything down. He’s still coughing, but he’s not bringing everything up anymore. He was pretty energetic for a while, playing with his toy. Then he crashed.

Today when I went in to take a shower he jumped up on the bed again. I told him “NO! OFF!” I had to motion for him to get off the bed, which he did. When he jumped down off the bed he ran straight out of the room. I just stood there for a few seconds, and he came back in, head down, butt wiggling, and I petted him and told him how good he was. I went into the bathroom and he stayed off the bed.

He figured out pill hiding this morning. First I tried putting them in hot dogs, which worked once or twice. Then I tried hiding them in cheese, but he picked around the pills and ate the cheese. So I went back to hot dogs. It didn’t work this time. I wound up with a dozen little pill pieces left on the floor. So I smashed them up, mixed them with peanut butter, and he licked it all off my finger. Hopefully peanut butter continues to work for the next nine days.

He’s been following my every move today. Fortunately for him I don’t move much. However, I decided it was finally time to get back on the bike today, so I rode with Greg to the grocery store. We don’t want to give A.J. the run of the house, at least not yet, so that meant leaving him in his crate. He wasn’t happy. I enticed him in with treats. I gave him more treats when he was in; more treats after I closed the door; and a treat when I walked away. I didn’t hear anything on the way out, but when I came in the house when we got back he was crying and barking until he heard me. I took my time treating him and letting him out, but it’s obvious he doesn’t like the crate at all. Unfortunately there’s not much else we can do right now.

A.J. seems to feel much better soon after his antihistamine pill. This evening after I gave him his medicines I sat outside and soon he was gnawing on his tennis ball. So I went inside and got his rope toy. He wound up shredding it. We played tug for a little bit, then he’d run around in circles. Probably a little too much running around, but he was obviously feeling pretty good just then. I settled him down from running around, but that’s when he laid down and practically destroyed the rope toy.

Bedtime led to another discussion as to who is allowed on the bed. It took two attempts on his part for me to win that argument again.